The goal of the writing group this summer will be to make some minor changes to the 5th grade study of culture through the exploration of these essential questions:
- How do the cultural universals help us compare and contrast various communities?
- How does human interaction with natural resources influence the development and survival of a culture?
- How do technology and trade affect the growth of a culture?
- What contributed to the development and “cultural diffusion” of Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, and Ancient Rome?
- how the four big ideas from the recent social studies curriculum review process are integrated into the social studies units (Global Understanding, Multiple Perspectives, Effective Citizenship, and Historical Thinking)
- the possiblity of including "Big Think" activities that provide students with the opportunity to apply their learning to a "real" problem
- the inclusion of other ancient civilizations that broaden the understanding of "culture."
- the possibility of one or more schools piloting the proposed changes during the 2009-1010 school year.